Montana Department of Livestock

Here to serve the people of Montana and its livestock industry.

Animal Health Bureau

Helpful Links

Contact Information

Department of Livestock
Animal Health Bureau
PO Box 202001
Helena, MT 59620-2001
Email Us

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

  • CVIs must be on an official form approved by Montana Department of Livestock.
  • Issued by an accredited veterinarian within 30 days prior to importation into Montana.
  • CVI must include:
    • Consignor and address of origin
    • Consignee and final destination address
    • Accurate description and identification of each animal (see species specific requirements)
    • Purpose for which they are shipped, method of transportation, identification and address of the transporter
    • The health status of the animals involved, including dates and results of inspections, tests and vaccinations required by the state of Montana per species
    • A signature by the issuing veterinarian who is certifying that the animals shown thereon are free from evidence of any infectious, contagious, or communicable disease or known exposure thereto
  • A copy of the CVI must be mailed immediately to the state veterinarian of Montana, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, Montana 59620-2001.


Import Permit

  • A unique number issued by the Montana Department of Livestock prior to entry into Montana and after all import requirements have been met.
  • Permits are good for 10 days from date of issuance.
  • Permits can be obtained by:
    •  Calling the import line at (406) 444-2976.
      • While the permit line is available to veterinarians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, not all permit types are available during non-business hours.
    • Emailing a scan or photo of the CVI to
      • Please put "Permit Request" in the subject line.
      • Requests received by 4:00 PM MST on regular business days will be processed same-day.
      • Approved permit numbers will be emailed to the requesting party.


Official Adult Vaccination for Import


Protocol for official adult brucellosis vaccination (animals greater than 12 months of age) to meet Montana import requirements:

For adult vaccination of Montana animals, see Official Adult Brucellosis Vaccination of Montana Animals

  • Negative brucellosis test within 30 days prior to adult vaccination.  
  • Vaccinated with a full dose (2CC) of regularly reconstituted RB51 vaccine. Permission may be required by the state veterinarian of the state of origin. 
  • Permanently identified with a legible adult vaccination tattoo in the right ear (example: RAV2 if adult vaccinated in 2012).
  • Permanently identified with an official individual identification tag.
  • AV of pregnant females is not recommended.


Official Calfhood Vaccinate (OCV)

  • Vaccinated with a full dose (2CC) of regularly reconstituted RB51 vaccine while from 4 months through 12 months of age.
  • Permanently identified with a legible vaccination tattoo in the right ear (example: RV1 if calfhood vaccinated with RB51 in 2011)
  • Permanently identified with an official individual identification tag



60 Months of CWD Surveillance shall include:

  • Documentation of all animals in exporting herd for the previous 60 months by:
    • Whole herd TB &/or brucellosis test charts for previous 5-6 whole herd tests; OR
    • Annual whole herd inventory verification (3rd party verification required)for previous 5 years; AND
    • Bill(s)-of-sale for all animals sold during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana;
    • Negative CWD test results for all animal deaths 12 months of age or greater during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana;
    • Verification of death (3rd party verification required) on all animals less than 12 months of age that died during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana.
  • Complete animal movement history for review.
  • Documentation consistent with A.(i.-v.) above from the herd of origin for all animals that are additions to exporting herd, if added within 60 months prior to import to Montana, including a copy of the CVI issued at time of addition to herd with individual animal identification listed.


Six-Month Horse Health Certificate (EECVI)


Montana Equine Six-Month Passport Changes:

  • The Montana Department of Livestock has transitioned to an electronic Extended Equine Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI), offered by Global Vet Link.  WE NO LONGER ACCEPT THE PAPER SIX-MONTH PASSPORT.
  • OUR OFFICE NO LONGER CHARGES A FEE OR REQUIRES AN APPLICATION ASSOCIATED WITIH THIS PROCESS.  Please contact your veterinarian about the EECVI offered by Global Vet Link.
  • Please note, EECVIs are not accepted for change of ownership or breeding purposes.
  • The state veterinarian may void all EECVIs if a disease crisis is declared.


Annual Equine Import Permit

The Montana Department of Livestock has created an annual equine import permit for owners who frequently travel in and out of Montana for shows, rodeos, races, etc. The annual equine import permit is issued annually and replaces the regular 10-day permit. All annual permits expire December 31 of the year issued. The annual permit must accompany the horse(s) at all times when in transit into Montana. This does not replace or eliminate the requirement for a CVI. The application can be downloaded here or you may call the office to request a copy be mailed or faxed.


Official Trichomoniasis Test

The official test for trichomoniasis is three negative weekly cultures or a single negative PCR performed on a sample collected by a trich-accredited veterinarian and performed at an MDOL approved laboratory. Bulls must have 2 weeks of sexual rest before testing and must be officially identified at the time of initial sampling. Pooled PCRs will be accepted as official tests for non-epidemiological testing. Official tests expire 60 days from sampling or upon commingling with female cattle.



Non-Virgin Bull

A sexually intact male bovine greater than 24 months of age OR a sexually intact male bovine 12-24 months of age without a signed statement of virginity from the owner.




Hi, I can help answer your questions!