Montana Department of Livestock

Here to serve the people of Montana and its livestock industry.

Animal Health Bureau

Helpful Links

Contact Information

Department of Livestock
Animal Health Bureau
PO Box 202001
Helena, MT 59620-2001
Email Us

Montana Import Requirements

  Click to find out your State's import requirements.

Most imports require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) and an import permit number.  Please select the species you are importing to find out about specific import requirements.

Import Permit Numbers


  • Permit Line: 406-444-2976
    • 24-hour permit line
  • Email:
    • Monday-Friday (8am-4:30pm)
    • Subject line “permit request”
    • For Canadian origin cattle permits, please email all import documentation to the above email in order to obtain a permit number, permits for Canadian origin cattle cannot be issued over the phone.

Effective April 1st Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued using electronic systems do NOT require an import permit.  These electronic systems include Global Vet Link, Agmove, VetSentry, VSPS, Fillable PDF, electronic Idaho CVI, electronic Oregon CVI and MyVetTech.

Effective October 14th, 2021, permits will no longer be required for horses, swine, or poultry being imported from Canada.


Alternative Livestock

For importation of Bighorn Sheep, Dall Sheep, Desert Sheep, Rocky Mountain Goats, Antelope, Caribou, Deer, Elk, Fallow Deer, Muntjacs, Reindeer, and Musk Ox, please contact the import office at 406-444-9525.

Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets

Small Pets


Dogs, Cats and Ferrets over the age of 3 months that are traveling with their owner, are not changing ownership, and are not for breeding purposes.

Required: Proof of rabies vaccination

Sugar Gliders and Hedge Hogs - No import permit required.

For more information please contact Fish, Wildlife, and Parks at 406-444-2535.

Hi, I can help answer your questions!