Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

PLEASE NOTE: Any livestock (equine, bovine, porcine, caprine, ovine, or cervidae) entering Montana from a county where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within the last fourteen (14) days or a county that contains a premises quarantined for vesicular stomatitis shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection dated within fourteen (14) days of entry and containing the following statement: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been inspected and found to be free from clinical signs of vesicular stomatitis."

  • CVIs must be on an official form approved by Montana Department of Livestock.
  • Issued by an accredited veterinarian within 30 days prior to importation into Montana.
  • CVI must include:
    • Consignor and address of origin
    • Consignee and final destination address
    • Accurate description and identification of each animal (see species specific requirements)
    • Purpose for which they are shipped, method of transportation, identification and address of the transporter
    • The health status of the animals involved, including dates and results of inspections, tests and vaccinations required by the state of Montana per species
    • A signature by the issuing veterinarian who is certifying that the animals shown thereon are free from evidence of any infectious, contagious, or communicable disease or known exposure thereto
  • A copy of the CVI must be mailed immediately to the state veterinarian of Montana, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, Montana 59620-2001.


Import Permit

  • A unique number issued by the Montana Department of Livestock prior to entry into Montana and after all import requirements have been met.
  • Permits are good for 10 days from date of issuance.
  • Permits can be obtained by:
    •  Calling the import line at (406) 444-2976.
      • While the permit line is available to veterinarians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, not all permit types are available during non-business hours.
    • Emailing a scan or photo of the CVI to livpermits@mt.gov.
      • Please put "Permit Request" in the subject line.
      • Requests received by 4:00 PM MST on regular business days will be processed same-day.
      • Approved permit numbers will be emailed to the requesting party.


Official Adult Vaccination for Import


Protocol for official adult brucellosis vaccination (animals greater than 12 months of age) to meet Montana import requirements:

For adult vaccination of Montana animals, see Official Adult Brucellosis Vaccination of Montana Animals

  • Negative brucellosis test within 30 days prior to adult vaccination.  
  • Vaccinated with a full dose (2CC) of regularly reconstituted RB51 vaccine. Permission may be required by the state veterinarian of the state of origin. 
  • Permanently identified with a legible adult vaccination tattoo in the right ear (example: RAV2 if adult vaccinated in 2012).
  • Permanently identified with an official individual identification tag.
  • AV of pregnant females is not recommended.


Official Calfhood Vaccinate (OCV)

  • Vaccinated with a full dose (2CC) of regularly reconstituted RB51 vaccine while from 4 months through 12 months of age.
  • Permanently identified with a legible vaccination tattoo in the right ear (example: RV1 if calfhood vaccinated with RB51 in 2011)
  • Permanently identified with an official individual identification tag



60 Months of CWD Surveillance shall include:

  • Documentation of all animals in exporting herd for the previous 60 months by:
    • Whole herd TB &/or brucellosis test charts for previous 5-6 whole herd tests; OR
    • Annual whole herd inventory verification (3rd party verification required)for previous 5 years; AND
    • Bill(s)-of-sale for all animals sold during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana;
    • Negative CWD test results for all animal deaths 12 months of age or greater during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana;
    • Verification of death (3rd party verification required) on all animals less than 12 months of age that died during the 60 months prior to importation into Montana.
  • Complete animal movement history for review.
  • Documentation consistent with A.(i.-v.) above from the herd of origin for all animals that are additions to exporting herd, if added within 60 months prior to import to Montana, including a copy of the CVI issued at time of addition to herd with individual animal identification listed.


Six-Month Horse Passport (SV-7HP)


The six-month horse passport is a health inspection certificate that was developed for horse owners that frequently travel to interstate events. It is used for animals participating in exhibitions (shows, rodeos, trail rides, etc.) when there is no change of ownership. The passport cannot be used for breeding purposes. The state veterinarian may void all passports if a disease crisis is declared.
  • To obtain a 6 month passport you must:
    • Reside in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, or Montana.
    • Have a current EIA (Coggins) test. Passports are valid for 6 months from the collection date.
    • Have a lifetime brand inspection. The inspection number must be written on the passport.
  • Prior to Travel you must submit an application which can be found here along with a fee of $5.00 per horse (this applies to Montana origin horses and horses traveling to Montana). Before obtaining the permit you must provide:
    • Lifetime brand inspection number 
  • Prior to each entry into Montana you must call 406-444-2976 or email livpermits@mt.gov to obtain a 10 day permit number. 
    • Upon your first call/email you must provide your preauthorization HP number(s), health certificate number(s), all coggins test information, and the name/address of where you are coming from and where in Montana you are going to.
    • Upon each subsequent call you must provide the health certificate numbers of the horses traveling with you and the name/address of where you were coming from and where in Montana you are going to.
  • Owners may call our after hours number to receive a 10 day import permit number, however this will require all of your information for each call

Please note that the 6-month certificate is an interstate travel document and individual events may have additional health inspection or certificate requirements.


Annual Equine Import Permit

The Montana Department of Livestock has created an annual equine import permit for owners who frequently travel in and out of Montana for shows, rodeos, races, etc. The annual equine import permit is issued annually and replaces the regular 10-day permit. All annual permits expire December 31 of the year issued. The annual permit must accompany the horse(s) at all times when in transit into Montana. This does not replace or eliminate the requirement for a CVI. The application can be downloaded here or you may call the office to request a copy be mailed or faxed.


Official Trichomoniasis Test

The official test for trichomoniasis is three negative weekly cultures or a single negative PCR performed on a sample collected by a trich-accredited veterinarian and performed at an MDOL approved laboratory. Bulls must have 2 weeks of sexual rest before testing and must be officially identified at the time of initial sampling. Pooled PCRs will be accepted as official tests for non-epidemiological testing. Official tests expire 60 days from sampling or upon commingling with female cattle.



Non-Virgin Bull

A sexually intact male bovine greater than 24 months of age OR a sexually intact male bovine 12-24 months of age without a signed statement of virginity from the owner.




Animal Health Bureau

Helpful Links


Contact Information

Department of Livestock
Animal Health Bureau
PO Box 202001
Helena, MT 59620-2001
Email Us