Skip Navigation Links Home >> Animal Health >> Import Requirements >> Horses, Donkeys, Mules, Zebras

Horse, Donkey, Mule and Zebra Import Requirements

Certificate Requirements

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or a Six-Month Horse Passport

PLEASE NOTE: Any livestock (equine, bovine, porcine, caprine, ovine, or cervidae) entering Montana from a county where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within the last fourteen (14) days or a county that contains a premises quarantined for vesicular stomatitis shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection dated within fourteen (14) days of entry and containing the following statement: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been inspected and found to be free from clinical signs of vesicular stomatitis."

Permit Requirements


Import Permit

  Equine Import Permits are now available Online

  Annual Equine Import Permits are available by application. Call the Montana Department of Livestock office to receive an application at 406-444-2976 or click here for a copy.

Brand Inspection - If the area of origin does not have brand inspections, one should be obtained upon arrival in Montana. To obtain an inspection, contact a brand inspector.

Testing Requirements

Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) – All animals must have a negative EIA test (Coggins test) within the 12 months prior to importation. Exception: A nursing foal under 6 months of age accompanied by the EIA negative dam is exempt from test requirements.

Equine Viral Arteritis (EVA) – No test is required. All stallions imported into Montana must comply with Official Order 09-01-I.

    1. Stallions with a positive test result must either have proof of prior vaccination against the disease or a negative semen test.
    2. Stallions that are known carriers (shedders) of EVA in semen must have approval from the Montana State Veterinarian prior to importation.

Equine Semen Requirements

Import Permit


Annual Equine Semen Import Permits are available by application. Call MDOL at (406) 444-2976 to receive an application or click here for a copy.