Montana Import Requirements
Please select the species you are importing to find out about species specific import requirements including: CVI, permit, vaccination, testing, and identification requirements.
NOTE: Every effort is made to keep these requirements current and accurate. Please call the Department of Livestock at (406) 444-2043 during regular business hours (8 AM – 4:45 PM MST, Monday – Friday) for the latest information.
Import permits may be obtained by:
- Calling the import line at (406) 444-2976.
- While the permit line is available to veterinarians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, not all permit types are available during non-business hours.
- Emailing a scan or photo of the CVI to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put "Permit Request" in the subject line.
- Requests received by 4:00 PM MST on regular business days will be processed same-day.
- Approved permit numbers will be emailed to the requesting party.
- Equine import permits are also available online at animalhealthimports.mt.gov.
Special Requirements Due to Vesicular Stomatitis:Any livestock (equine, bovine, porcine, caprine, ovine, or cervidae) entering Montana from a county where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within the last fourteen (14) days or a county that contains a premises quarantined for vesicular stomatitis shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection dated within fourteen (14) days of entry and containing the following statement: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been inspected and found to be free from clinical signs of vesicular stomatitis." Current Vesicular Stomatitis Counties:
Last updated 09/30/2015
- Bighorn Sheep, Dall Sheep, Desert Sheep, Rocky Mountain Goats
- Antelope, Caribou, Deer, Elk, Fallow Deer, Muntjacs, Reindeer
- Musk Ox
- Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, Guanacos, Vicunas
- Ostrich, Rhea, and Emu
- Yaks, Water Buffalo
- Reptiles, Snakes
- Wild Birds, Birds of Prey, Exotic Waterfowl
- All Other Species
*May be allowed for research, fur farm, exhibition under special permit from FWP in addition to CVI & Permit
If the species in question is not listed previously, or in the following two laws (see links below), then the species is prohibited for importation into the State of Montana. However, the import classification system is ongoing and subject to change. If in doubt, call (406) 444-2043.