- Montana Import Requirements
Please select the species you are importing to find out about species specific import requirements including: CVI, permit, vaccination, testing, and identification requirements.
InterstateLivestock.com offers animal owners and veterinarians a web form to simplify interstate requirements for cattle and horses. MDOL works with InterstateLivestock.com to ensure that import regulations for Montana are accurate.
NOTE: Every effort is made to keep these requirements current and accurate. Please call the Department of Livestock at (406) 444-2043 during regular business hours (8 AM – 4:45 PM MST, Monday – Friday) for the latest information.
Import permits may be obtained by:
- Calling the import line at (406) 444-2976.
- While the permit line is available to veterinarians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, not all permit types are available during non-business hours.
- Emailing a scan or photo of the CVI to email@example.com.
- Please put "Permit Request" in the subject line.
- Requests received by 4:00 PM MST on regular business days will be processed same-day.
- Approved permit numbers will be emailed to the requesting party.
- Equine import permits are also available online at animalhealthimports.mt.gov.
*May be allowed for research, fur farm, exhibition under special permit from FWP in addition to CVI & Permit
If the species in question is not listed previously, or in the following two laws (see links below), then the species is prohibited for importation into the State of Montana. However, the import classification system is ongoing and subject to change. If in doubt, call (406) 444-2043.