Animal HealthImport RequirementsSheep

Domestic Sheep Import Requirements


Prohibited Species (including but not limited to): Mouflon, Mouflon cross, Barbary, Tahr, Chamois, Aoudad, Barbados, Hawaiian, and Black Hawaiian

Certificate Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: Any livestock (equine, bovine, porcine, caprine, ovine, or cervidae) entering Montana from a county where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within the last fourteen (14) days or a county that contains a premises quarantined for vesicular stomatitis shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection dated within fourteen (14) days of entry and containing the following statement: "All animals identified on this certificate of veterinary inspection have been inspected and found to be free from clinical signs of vesicular stomatitis."

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

Exception: Sheep moving interstate on a sheep transport permit from their state of origin may travel to an approved livestock market without a CVI or import permit.


The following statement must be true and be included on the CVI:

“The animals in this shipment were not exhibiting clinical signs associated with scrapie at the time of the examination.”


Permit Requirements

Import Permit

Testing Requirements


  • Ewes – No tests required
  • Rams - Eight months of age and older
    • Be free of any gross lesions of ram epididymitis upon examination, AND
    • 1 negative Brucella ovis ELISA test within 30 days of import 
    • Originate directly from an officially recognized Brucella ovis free flock

    Identification Requirements

    • Official identification (per ARM 32.3.1303 & 32.3.1308) is required for:
      • Sexually intact sheep of any age;
      • All sheep over 18 months of age.
    • Approved forms of official ID include: 
      • Official USDA ear tag,
      • Breed registration tattoo,
      • Scrapie premises ID tag,
      • Premises tattoo number.
    • Identification must be listed on the CVI.
    • Exceptions:
      • Sheep and goats moved for grazing purposes with no change of ownership are exempt from ID requirements.
      • Sheep moving directly from their ranch of origin to an approved livestock market do not require official ID. The consignor may be charged for the application of official ID at the market.

    Ovine Semen Requirements

    Import Permit Ovine semen shipments must comply with ARM 32.3.220.


Animal Health Bureau

Helpful Links


Contact Information

Department of Livestock
Animal Health Bureau
PO Box 202001
Helena, MT 59620-2001
Email Us