Musk Ox Import Requirements
Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)
- Can only be imported to a licensed Montana alternative livestock ranch.
- Individual official identification must be listed on the CVI
- Animals acquired from another state/province must be marked with a Montana ear tag within 30 days of importation.
- The following statements must appear on the CVI:
||"To the best of my knowledge, animals listed herein are not infected with paratuberculosis (Johnes Disease) and have not been exposed to animals infected with paratuberculosis.”
“To the best of my knowledge, the premises of origin have not been the site of significant disease outbreak in the previous 24 months that was not contained and extirpated using recognized disease control standards."
- Import permits are only available during regular business hours (8 AM – 4:45 PM MST, Monday – Friday)
- All paperwork and tests must be faxed to MDOL prior to permit issuance.
- The importer of any alternative livestock species will be assessed a fee of $50.00 for the first animal plus $10.00 for each additional animal imported. Fees are assessed on a per permit basis.
- Brucella abortus (negative) on two of the following tests (Card, Rivanol, FPA, or CA) within 30 days prior to importation for all animals 6 months of age and older.
Animals originating from a TB Accredited Free or TB Modified Accredited Advanced a State or Zone:
- TB test (negative) required on all animals 2 months of age and older within 60 days prior to importation.
Animals originating from TB Modified Accredited States or zones:
- Two TB tests (negative) required on all sexually intact animals 2 months of and older 60-120 days apart. The second TB test must be within 60 days prior to importation; OR
- TB test (negative) on all sexually intact animals 2 months of age and older within 60 days prior to importation AND must originate directly from a herd that has been TB tested in its entirety within the last 12 months; OR
- TB test (negative) on all animals 2 months of age and older within 60 days prior to importation AND must originate directly from a USDA-APHIS-VS Accredited TB-Free herd. The herd accreditation number and date of entire herd test must be included on the CVI.
- Animals less than 2 months of age will be quarantined and tested between 2 and 4 months of age.
All animals must be officially individually identified.