Brucellosis/Montana's Designated Surveillance Area (DSA)
Testing Reimbursement Forms
[NEW] Recent information
DSA Regulations (ARM)
Variances may be available with a herd management agreement (call MDOL at 406-444-2043).
Brucellosis (Bangs) Vaccination:
All sexually intact female cattle or domestic bison 12 months of age or older in Beaverhead, Big Horn, Broadwater, Carbon, Gallatin, Jefferson, Madison, Park, Stillwater, and Sweet Grass counties must be official vaccinates.
Official vaccinates are calfhood or adult vaccinates(AV).
Vaccination requirements apply to resident female cattle as well as cattle seasonally grazing in these counties.
Brucellosis Testing (Bleeding):
All sexually intact cattle and domestic bison must be tested for brucellosis within 30 days prior to leaving the DSA or changing ownership.
- No test is required for animals less than 12 months of age that will be fed for slaughter and not used for breeding.
- Cattle consigned to a licensed Montana livestock market are tested on arrival.
- A test completed July 16 or after is acceptable for movement out of the DSA or change of ownership through February 15 the following year.
Identification and Disease Traceability:
All sexually intact cattle and domestic bison (regardless of age) leaving the DSA must be officially identified.
Official individual identification tags include:
- Electronic Identification Device (EID) tags (also known as RFID tags);
- Orange brucellosis (metal or RFID) vaccination tags on officially brucellosis vaccinated females;
- Silver metal "Brite" tags (available to producers at no charge from the MDOL or USDA-APHIS office);
DSA Testing Compensation Requests
Costs of DSA testing and adult vaccination are compensated for veterinarians and producers on a state fiscal year schedule (July 1 through June 30) according to availability of funds and at rates specified by MDOL. Requests for compensation must be received within 60 days of sample collection. Policies and compensation rates may vary from year to year; see below for current request forms.